- To protect effectively the mountain environment, its flora, fauna and natural resources.
- To reduce the negative impact of man’s activities. To respect the cultural heritage and dignity of local populations.
- To stimulate activities which restore and rehabilitate the mountain environment.
- To encourage contact between mountaineers of different countries through friendship, mutual respect and peace.
- To spread information and knowledge in order to improve man’s relationship with the environment.
- To use only resources which respect the energy needs of the environment and the elimination of waste products.
- To support mountain countries by way of development with a view to environmental conservation.
- To expand access to mountainous regions without difficulties of a political nature.